Burn Permits & Bans

Baldwin City requires a valid burn permit for any open burning within city limits. Permits are free, but must be obtained from City Hall at 803 8th Street or by calling 785-594-6427. The City follows Douglas County's burn ban days, as described on the County website. Call 785-832-5394 to see if there is a burn ban in place.

Burn Permits

Baldwin City follows Douglas County Emergency Management's burn ban days, which are determined on a daily basis. The most accurate way to find out if there is a burn ban in effect on any given day is to call 785-832-5394.

Yes. You may get one at City Hall by walking in at 803 8th Street or calling 785-594-6427.

There is no cost for a burn permit. They are required for safety reasons.

Burn permits are issued for the purpose of burning leaves, straw, grass, or limbs under four inches in diameter. Per City Ordinance 1206, trash, garbage, construction materials, and construction debris may not be burned or buried within city limits.

Once you have received a burn permit, you are allowed to burn between 6a.m. and 6p.m. within the following 72 hours, as long as there is no burn ban in place. Check the Douglas County website for burn ban information.

All clearances must comply with the distances prescribed by Ordinance #1206. Questions should be directed to the Baldwin City Volunteer Fire Department at 785-594-3678.