VIN Inspections

Baldwin City Police Department has been authorized by the Kansas Highway Patrol to complete some Motor Vehicle Enforcement Procedures.

Since we are a satellite office we DO NOT handle salvage or antiques (over 30 years old). These will go directly through the Kansas Highway Patrol.


All vehicles and trailers that have out of state titles must have a completed Kansas Highway Patrol Vehicle Examination Certificate, MVE-1, in order to obtain a new Kansas Tag.


An inspection can be obtained by bringing the vehicle, title, and $20 to the police department Tuesday and Thursday only, between the hours of 9 a.m. to noon; and 1 to 4 p.m.


  • Original title that is completed and signed. If you do not have the original title (usually because there is a lien) the lien holder must fax a copy of the title directly to BCPD at 785-594-6736 before we can do the VIN inspection. Copies that have been sent to the county treasurer registering the vehicle will be accepted if stamped by that counties’ treasurer’s office.
  • Driver’s license - The person bringing in the vehicle needs to have their driver’s license with them. That person does not need to be the owner.
  • $20 fee, Cash or Credit will be accepted.


Tuesday and Thursday ONLY, between the hours of 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m.